Here’s a simple and rational backlinking strategy for you. Backlinks are all the links to your site that google finds and uses to determine if your information is worth of putting on page one. The more relevant backlinks you have, from high traffic sites, the better you’ll do.
- Use your own muscle – if you want backlinks to your music site and you have other music sites already then link to your new site!
- Ask your colleagues – if you know people who do a similar thing to you then ask them to help out by linking you.
- Article directories – put your article – or better still an edited version of it, that way google won’t flag it as a duplicate and hence it will show both versions – onto ezinearticle.com or any of the other myriad of article directories out there. Only put as much effort into this as your sanity can stand but the fact is, google will register every time one of these guys links you.
- Give where you can and get a backlink in return. If you can submit something of yours to a relevant site and get a backlink in return then do it! So lets say you’re a tech firm and you’ve written a wordpress plugin – put that plugin on the wordpress plugin directory and you’ve got a backlink (and done some people a favor in the process!)
- Advertise your services. There are plenty of sites out there where you can legitimately advertise what you do – they’re often directories after all and hence rely on you listing yourself. Tell them who you are and you might get business from them as well as another backlink!
- Online forums are great sometimes. The ones that let you post links are useful (or display your link in your profile), the ones that don’t are not! That said, in the long run you’re best off hanging out where you actually want to be and can connect with people.
There are many clever strategies like ‘article spinning software’ and subimitting to loads of directories… …or buying tons of backlinks… But truly the best thing you can do is to stay true to your muse, write the articles and get the message out there. Have some faith in Google’s software to find the best stuff!
Talking of google, you can use their webmaster tools to check how many backlinks google is actually registering and what keywords google is associating your content with. This can be used as a kind of metric to see how you’re doing.