Google rankings are broadly based on 3 factors: (the ‘searcher’ is your potential client tapping information into google)
1) How closely the text on your site (especially in the domain name or url) matches the phrase entered into google by the searcher.
2) How much information relevant to that topic area is present on your site
3) How many links from other related websites go to your website. So if your business is selling running shoes I mean that links from other fitness related sites will help. If you have a link from a friend who sells cream buns, it will actually hurt your ranking if anything.
Your task in marketing your goods is to maximise those three factors.
To maximise point 1) One tip to get you started is that you can use this free tool from google:
It can tell you how many people are searching for given keywords on google. So once you know that 100 people are looking for ‘awesome running shoes’ on google then you’ll target those keywords. If no-one’s looking for it then you’ll target something else.
2) This one is simple – loads of writing, videos, pictures on your topic need to be on your site. The more there is, the more google will like you.
3) This one you need to make friends. Anyone else in your industry or related industries need to be linking to you.
As an example, try typing ‘how to play piano and sing at the same time’ into google and you’ll get my site http://thefreemusician.com at number 1. Hundreds of people type that and other similar searches each month. Currently I get about 2000 hits and 15 or 20 newsletter signups a month from that. That took me a couple of weeks to achieve. My experience is, it usually takes longer…
Google’s a great way to get people to your site because it’s effortless, but there are a load of other ways from twitter marketing to engaging a fanbase via facebook or email. Freedom Online Services can find you the best solution for your project!